Analytics

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Warwick Davis played "Grettir" in Season 3, Episode 8 "The Eye of the Phoenix," & is scheduled to appear in Season 4!

Warwick Davis confirmed to play Grettir again in 
Merlin Series 4

Warwick Davis as Grettir
photo credit: warwickdavis

Warwick Davis as Grettir in Merlin Series 3 "The Eye of the Phoenix"
photo credit: farfarawaysite.com

Warwick Davis plays Grettir
You are guest starring in Merlin. How did that come about?
Well it was lovely. I guess the longer you're acting and the longer you are around, the more often you are offered a part rather than having to audition. It is really nice when the director offers you the role because you don't have the worry of auditioning and thinking, I want the part, will I get the part? At the same time you walk on the set on the first day and in the back of your mind you're wondering, I hope I can fulfil the director's vision of this character, because no one really knows what I am going to do. Whereas if you've auditioned already you know what the director likes.
It's very flattering though and I was absolutely thrilled because we love to watch Merlin in this household. It is the mainstay of Saturday night TV. For me it harks back to being a youngster watching dramas such as The Chronicles Of Narnia, which I had the honour of being in too.
What can you tell us about your episode?
I play a keeper of a bridge. He is a sweet little character called Grettir. He guards a bridge which leads to the Lands of the Fisher King. He gives people a bit of a hard time if they want to come across – they have to have the right reasons and be the right person to cross this bridge. Obviously he wants Merlin and Arthur to get across it because ultimately he wants to see the lands restored so he lets Merlin and Arthur pass without too much trouble, but he takes his job quite seriously.
What was it like working with the cast and crew of Merlin?
It was terrific. It's often hard going into a project where, like Merlin, the cast and crew have been together many years now and you walk in as the new boy. It feels very much like the first day of school and you don't know anyone. I was immediately made to feel very welcome and it was a really, really fun day's filming and I felt very at home and very part of it. Colin (Merlin) and Bradley (Arthur) were top blokes, really good guys and very welcoming.
Where did you film?
We filmed in a very interesting location, in a place called Puzzlewood, in the Forest of Dean. It's like an art director went in there and created this set, but it's a natural area. It was a mine at one point and all these little areas have been dug out.
It looks magical, it looks like you're going to walk round the corner and you'll see a goblin standing there. It's absolutely perfect and the little bridge that my character guards actually exists.
People that watch the show can go and find my bridge if they wish to. It isn't a set; somebody put it there in the past. In fact it was the place that inspired JRR Tolkien to write The Hobbit. We were talking about that while we were filming because it does have this magical quality to it, even though it was tipping down with rain the day we were filming. That's filming for you – everyone thinks it's such a glamorous world but most of the time you're standing in mud in the pouring rain.
Does your character have magical powers?
He does have magical powers because he is able to appear from thin air. So he does to a degree, but he doesn't show off any more magic than that – I like to think he has a bit more going for him than that. But being able to appear and disappear is a pretty good skill.
If you could have a magical power, what would it be?
I think being invisible is quite useful at times, although you'd have to be very respectful and use it correctly. For me I think levitation would be very useful. Often I can't reach counters in shops, cash machines and books on shelves. If I could just levitate up and get to these things it would be very useful for me.
You've led a very interesting life and released your autobiography. Has that always been an ambition of yours?
I turned 40 this year so I didn't really feel old enough yet. But after some persuasion I sat down and started to write it and it took about a year and a half. It was very exciting to sit back and take stock of my career. When you are living that life you don't necessarily appreciate it as much as you should. While writing the book I really felt so lucky to have done such an amazing amount of work over the years. I've had so many great opportunities and worked with some amazing people.
I do appreciate every bit of work I do now – I appreciate it much more because I stand back a little and go, "wow this amazing."
It was the same with Merlin – it's an institution and has a huge following around the world. It was just nice to be asked to go down there and do my thing.
It still leaves me one goal – Doctor Who! I'd love to be in that – to play the Doctor for a few weeks would be brilliant. The Doctor could regenerate and there's a bit of a hiccup and he's a lot shorter, and so you would go into the Tardis and that's a lot smaller too. Or I'd like to be a villain on the show...
Of all the roles you've played, do you have a favourite?
It's really hard. When you play a character they become sort of part of your family in a way. So thinking of a favourite is very difficult. I think Wicket, the Ewok I played in Return Of The Jedi – my very first role – has got to be up there, just because he has given me this amazing career. Professor Flitwick in Harry Potter, I am very fond of that character too.
What can we enjoy you in next?
I am in a BBC Radio 4 play, The Climb, which went out on Tuesday (now on the BBC i-player). I am really thrilled with how that's turned out, it has been a really interesting project.
I am also working on my comedy series, Life's Too Short, with Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, which we are shooting next May.
Is it good fun working with them?
It's great, such a laugh, and with Ricky and Stephen you have the reassurance that what you are doing will be funny. They've managed to gain such great insight into my world, because it's about me – I play myself – and they've really got that. I can't believe I am working with them – I've hit the jackpot getting those guys on board!
Warwick Davis appears as Grettir in episode 8 of Merlin, BBC One
Warwick Davis's IMDB

Warwick Davis's Official Website

Bradley James as Prince Arthur & Warwick Davis as Grettir
photo credit: farfarawaysite.com


Colin Morgan as Merlin & Warwick Davis as Grettir

Arthur (Bradley James) meets Grettir (Warwick Davis), Keeper of the Bridge
video by Scarabaeus37 on YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment